Jill, Tracy, and Wendy representing PVCF at CrossFit Upload in sunny Puerto Rico!
1. Review Kelly Starrett's "Zombie Deadlift" set-up:
- "Stand in your deadlift stance with shins touching the barbell. Lift your arms straight up in front of you. Rotate your thumbs toward the ceiling. Pull your shoulder blades back and down. Squeeze your glutes and lock your ribcage down.
- "Hinge back at the hip as far as you can without losing spinal extension.
- Then bend at the knees and take a grip of the bar with your right hand.
- About thumbs-length from the point where the gnurling meets the smooth center portion of the bar is a good width. Use a pronated grip. Save the alternating grip for your heaviest weights.
- "Match it with your left hand.
- "Still holding the bar, push your hips toward the ceiling.
- "Lift your chest to pull all the slack out of your arms, and then drop your butt to load your hamstrings.
- "Attempt to snap the bar in half. With your weight in your heels, bar in contact with the legs, hamstrings in tension, back flat, arms straight, shoulders slightly in front of the bar, and head neutral, you are ready to deadlift."
2. Drill 3 positions of the Squat and “Five in the hole”
3. Crash victim stretch 2/side
4. “He Thrusts His Fists Against the Post and Still Insists He Sees the Ghosts”
In teams of two, with a continuously running clock, 4 Deadlifts the first minute 8 Deadlifts the second minute 12 Deadlifts the third minute Etc. When you can no longer complete the assigned reps in a given round, move on to 4 Push-ups the first minute 8 Push-ups the second minute 12 Push-ups the third minute Etc. When you can no longer complete the assigned reps in a given round, move on to 4 Wallballs the first minute 8 Wallballs the second minute 12 Wallballs the third minute Etc. When you can no longer complete the assigned reps in a given round, move on to 4 Squat thrusts the first minute 8 Squat thrusts the second minute 12 Squat thrusts the third minute When you can no longer complete the assigned reps in a given round, you’re done.
Athletes alternate on deadlifts and wallballs, splitting the reps, but work simultaneously on push-ups and squat thrusts, performing all reps.
Level III: deadlifts @ 225/150lbs, 20/14lbs wallballs Level II: deadlifts @ 185/128lbs, 20/14lbs wallballs Level 1: three rounds not for time of 10 deadlifts, 10 push-ups, 10 wallballs, 10 squat thrusts